05 December 2009

The Cake That Didn't...




Here's the thing.

I've never been a sketch-y person. It's a shame, I know :(

Whenever I'm decorating, be it a cake or cupcakes, I would have a long good stare at the cake until I finally receive a lightbulb moment. Then the ideas just came to me naturally. Not that it's a good thing to do coz you might risk ruining someone else's very important cake, but I just couldn't be bothered to sketch on paper. I just like using short cuts.

And I'm flattered indeed. Especially by a lovely gal named C-Bone. Her emails literally gave me goose bumps. She told me how she fell in love with my garden themed cake (the one I made for my niece Grace) and she wanted the exact design with a few modification. Upon receiving her heavy praises, I cringed. Would I be able to meet her expectation?




The cake was supposed to be a blueberry cheesecake. But it was rather moist so I didn't dare to cut it in half and layer it with blueberry filling. Thus, it was a plain jane cheesecake instead. (my post mortem later revealed that it was the oven's temperature that messed up the whole thing. OMG have mercy on me!)



Then came the icing. This was my first time playing with fresh cream icing. And I thought mine was a bit too stiff. Perhaps I've gone overboard and beat it a tad too long. And I made it waayy too bluish to my liking. Urgh.. why did everything just went against me that day? My oven, my fresh cream, bla..bla..bla...



But I truly enjoyed putting all the lil pieces of flowers and butterflies together. It was really fun. And when you're really immersed with the joy of decorating, you kinda get carried away with time...



On top of the cake, C-Bone wanted a simple piping design of a house, a sun and a 'house warming' message. But I gave her this house and sunshine fondant cut outs instead. And hoping she would be okay with it.

And when she emailed me with a happy tone, I know I've completed my task successfully. Maybe it wasn't that bad after all. Lesson learnt...

#1: don't be afraid to make mistakes. They are your best teacher.

Thanks so much C-Bone! It's been a great learning experience for me and am truly honoured to be given the opportunity to play a small part in your huge house warming party. thank you & love you to bits!

"...the cake was WONDERFUL..my 'big family' loves it..but most of all...I myself love so much. I can see how much effort & love you've given to it..and look how it turned out!

My cousin bought me a cake & it was nothing compared to the one that you've made. Anyway..U DID AN EXCELLENT JOB..walla! Keep up the good work...u have a great talent & doors of opportunities is waiting for you..u should open a shop of your own..
.." - C-Bone

(smiling ear to ear..happiieee!)



2 comments:

C-bone said...

Great cake..great TASTE..yummy!!

aten chan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.